Chronic fatigue syndrome affects around 17 million people in the world. Despite being widespread, the condition has remained an ongoing enigma, perplexing both patients and the medical community in their efforts to fully understand their complexities.
In light of this pressing issue, the book ‘From Fatigued to Fantastic!’ offers hope and practical solutions for individuals battling Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS). In this review, we will explore how this book addresses these complex conditions, providing a powerful tool for those seeking relief and improved well-being.
Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D., holds a prominent position as an integrative medical expert worldwide, often cited in various contexts.
He has authored ten other books, including ‘Pain Free 1,2,3,’ ‘The Complete Guide to Beating Sugar Addiction,’ ‘Real Cause, Real Cure,’ ‘The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution,’ and ‘Diabetes Is Optional.’
Teitelbaum has also played a crucial role in leading multiple studies on effective treatments for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. His expertise has brought him frequent invitations to prominent news and talk shows like Good Morning America, The Dr. Oz Show, CNN, and FoxNewsHealth.
What is the book about?
‘From Fatigued to Fantastic!’ is a comprehensive and authoritative guide that delves into over a hundred factors affecting energy, sleep, and mental clarity. Designed for individuals struggling with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS), this book offers a proven program to help regain vibrant health.
Dr. Teitelbaum, a leading expert in these conditions, shares compelling evidence and the latest scientific research, supporting effective treatments for these debilitating illnesses. Drawing from his personal experience of overcoming these health challenges, he offers compassionate advice and practical instructions on how to eliminate the root causes using both natural and pharmacological methods. With more than 200,000 copies sold, this book presents a powerful and reliable tool for those seeking relief from CFIDS and fibromyalgia symptoms.
Table of contents
- Introduction: Start Here
- Part One Optimizing Energy with SHINE
- Chapter 1 Sleep: Recharge Your Batteries
- Chapter 2 Hormones: Your Bodu’s Communication System
- Chapter 3 Infections and Immunity: Our Body’s Defense System
- Chapter 4 Nutrition: “Garbage In, Garbage Out”
- Chapter 5 Exercise: Does Sex Count?
- Chapter 6 Emotional and Spiritual Optimization: A Critical Foundation for Overall Health
- Chapter 7 Making This All Simple: The Tune-Up Docs Program
- Part Two Getting Pain-Free–Now!
- CHAPTER 8 The Ten Key Types of Pain
- CHAPTER 9 Natural Pain Relief
- CHAPTER 10 Prescription Pain Relief
- CHAPTER 11 Addressing Each of the Ten Most Common Pains
- Part Three SHINE Intensive Care: Recovering. from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia
- Introduction: CFS and Fibromyalgia Are Now Very Treatable
- Chapter 12 What Are Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia?
- Chapter 13 Sleep Intensive Care
- Chapter 14 Hormones and Hypotension Intensive Care Neurally Mediated Hypotension (MMH) and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS).
- Chapter 15 Infection Intensive Care
- Chapter 16 Healing Your Immune System: Balancing Th1 and Th2
- Chapter 17 Nutrition Intensive Care
- Chapter 18 Exercise Intensive Care: Exercise as Able
- Chapter 19 Sensitive to Everything?
- – Mast Cell Activation Syndrome
- – Food Sensitivities
- – Molds and Mucotoxins (Mold Toxins)
- Chapter 20 Losing Weight with CFS and FMS
- Part Four The Mind-Body-Spirit (MBS) Connection
- Part Five How to Proceed and Resources
- – How to Proceed-Made Simple
- – Finding a Holistic Physician
- – Getting $800 Million in CES/EMS Research Funding in One Minute; Feel Powerless in Affecting Our Government?
- – Sourcing Supplements
- – Financial Transparency
- – Surviving Prescription Costs
- – Would You Like My Brain in Your Pocket?
- – Getting Disability Approved When Needed
- Conclusion Getting a Life You Love: An Unexpected Gift of the Illness
- An In-Depth View of Immune Dysfunction in CFS/FMS by Dr. Samuel F. Yanuck
Key takeaways from ‘From Fatigued to Fantastic!’
1In managing symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, nutrition plays an essential role
Nutrition plays a crucial role in managing the symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/FMS). A high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet is often preferred by many individuals with CFS/FMS to alleviate fatigue and improve overall well-being. Adequate salt intake can also be beneficial for those with CFS/FMS.
While some people with CFS/FMS may experience sensitivity to certain foods, incorporating a balanced and nutritious diet can significantly improve their condition.
Apart from the essential high-dose B vitamins, magnesium, malic acid, and ribose, individuals with CFS/FMS are advised to include coenzyme Q10, acetyl-L-carnitine, N-acetyl-cysteine, and Omega-3 fish oils in their regimen to enhance energy production and promote overall well-being.
2A gradual reconditioning program is essential to overcoming CFS/FMS
For individuals dealing with chronic illnesses like CFS/FMS, exercise can be challenging due to post-exertional fatigue.
Gradual reconditioning is key to success, with gentle exercises like walking, yoga, and tai chi being suitable starting points. The author also emphasises the significance of self-empowerment and pacing oneself, avoiding overexertion. As energy levels improve, individuals can gradually increase exercise intensity and duration.
Utilising tools like Fitbit can aid in tracking progress and achieving daily step goals. Furthermore, exercising outdoors in the sunshine can provide essential vitamin D, crucial for immune function and pain management. Woolen long underwear is suggested for colder days to prevent muscle spasms. By striking the right balance, patients can recondition their bodies without experiencing severe setbacks.
3CFS/FMS patients need to address sleep disturbances for a better quality of life
Sleep is crucial in managing fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Disordered sleep is a key factor contributing to these conditions. The ability to get solid sleep without medications can indicate the symptoms may not be related to CFS/FMS. The author emphasises addressing sleep effectively for better health. Combining low doses of sleep aids is favoured over high doses. The book lists helpful prescription medications, including Zolpidem and Trazodone. Gradual reduction of sleep medications is possible once improved sleep quality is sustained. Addressing sleep disturbances is vital for a better quality of life in individuals with CFS/FMS.
Strengths and weaknesses, according to readers’ reviews
Offers well-backed and well-researched advice and recommendations.
Presents a range of treatment options, not solely reliant on prescriptions, offering hope for improvement through individualised approaches.
As someone who has battled fibromyalgia, Dr. Teitelbaum’s personal perspective adds depth and understanding to the book.
The book heavily focuses on US-specific information, including recommended supplements and chapters on the US government and disability, leaving non-US readers wishing for a more relevant edition, such as a UK version.
Excessive promotion of the author’s own quizzes, supplements and books.
Best quotes from ‘From Fatigued to Fantastic!’
“If your mind races because your brain thinks it is daytime when it is nighttime, continually focus your thoughts on things that feel good and do not require much “thinking energy.” If you find that you cannot help but continue to problem-solve, get out of bed and write down all your problems on a piece of paper until you can’t think of any more – then set them aside and go back to bed. Do this as often as you need to. It may be helpful to schedule thirty minutes of “worry time” early in the afternoon or evening when you can update a checklist of your concerns.”
“Many people with fatigue, and most people with CFS/FMS, have had the experience of going to the doctor convinced that their thyroid was low, only to experience the frustration of having the tests come back normal. Most often, it turns out you are right and hormonal deficiencies were present. The problem? Most physicians have no clue that the testing is not reliable.”
‘From Fatigued to Fantastic!’ by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum is a comprehensive guide that provides a proven program to help individuals struggling with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/FMS) and fibromyalgia regain vibrant health. Besides providing an in-depth explanation about using medications to balance hormone levels, the book also emphasises lifestyle changes like nutrition, sleep management, and gradual reconditioning to promote one’s health and alleviate symptoms of CFS/FMS.
This book is a must-read for individuals looking to find relief from CFS/FMS symptoms and those who are committed to addressing their health challenges at their core for long-term well-being.
Where to buy
You may purchase ‘From Fatigued to Fantastic!’ on Amazon at the best price. It is available in paperback, audio and Kindle versions, so you may choose an option that appeals to you the most.
Receive Exclusive Tips & Weekly Digest – subscribe to our newsletter